Internet Service & Speed in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionInternet Service & Speed in Chengdu

• This topic has 200 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoPk_c.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Participant

2175568995.png

Participant

2175568995.png

Participant
    Quote:
    I’m downloading at ~650KB/sec

you are downloading 22,000 files? Extraordinary.

Keymaster

Haven’t tested this in a year or so. From my office in Tianfu Software Park:

2178583058.png

Participant

Same here. From nearby Hang Kong Lu. I had a feeling internet somehow became faster and more stable over the past year or so. This test seems to back that up, in comparison to my previous one.

2178597292.png

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Results stayed exactly the same as on page 2 (10 months ago), haha.

Participant

Same here. From nearby Hang Kong Lu. I had a feeling internet somehow became faster and more stable over the past year or so. This test seems to back that up, in comparison to my previous one.

2178597292.png

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. Results stayed exactly the same as on page 2 (10 months ago), haha.

Participant

Charlie, the fact that you’re on Unicom seems to have a lot to do with the speed to that particular server in Chengdu. I noticed on the website the server is hosted by Unicom themselves.

I am on Chinanet and my result with that server is ridiculous:

2178602345.png

Participant

Charlie, the fact that you’re on Unicom seems to have a lot to do with the speed to that particular server in Chengdu. I noticed on the website the server is hosted by Unicom themselves.

I am on Chinanet and my result with that server is ridiculous:

2178602345.png

Keymaster
    Quote:

That makes sense, I hadn’t realized that the test server was on Unicom. I guess I have Unicom at home and at work then. My scores aren’t even that high at either location though!

Keymaster
    Quote:

That makes sense, I hadn’t realized that the test server was on Unicom. I guess I have Unicom at home and at work then. My scores aren’t even that high at either location though!

Participant

I’m testing OverPlay VPN and it’s a really nice service!

You can choose between many server in different country, with OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP protocol.

Website isn’t reachable under the big wall, but you can follow this two steps:

Host Patch

OverPlay Webpage

2234697559.png

Seriously though, with a government so bent on developing infrastructure, and in a country with the most internet users in the whole world, you’d think that they would do something to upgrade from this decades-old technology.

Anyone have insight on why they haven’t?

btw, those speeds look really great, Federico. 5ms ping? wtf. Are you sure your Vee Pee eN is turned on?

Participant

@Chris

If you look at the source/destination, it’s pinging from China Unicom Sichuan > Leshan. Speed/latency is kind of useless when you’re testing it against Leshan, unless of course your videos stream from there….torrents source there….game servers are there…etc.

Participant

Ahahah sure! it’s turned on Sydney server… about ADSL provider in China I’m little angry too…

Participant

Test on Sydney is with OpenVPN now on Singapore server I used PPTP protocol…

2234841873.png

@Rick ah, I missed that important detail. Speedtest’s auto “find the nearest server” function is pretty inconsistent.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Seriously though, with a government so bent on developing infrastructure, and in a country with the most internet users in the whole world, you’d think that they would do something to upgrade from this decades-old technology.

Anyone have insight on why they haven’t?

This is a great question, I’d like to know this also. What we generally see is that countries with the fastest internet meet the following criteria:

– Developed economy and infrastructure

– Many internet users and internet services

– Geographically small

I think the last point is a major one that prevents China from offering really high speed service. The internet here is just as antiquated as you say it is, with virtually all of us connecting through the internet via ADSL connections which are virtually from the stone age by today’s standards. If China can build bullet trains and tout them so proudly, why can’t they do the same with the internet? Then again, internet is only REALLY slow here when you compare it to first world countries which are more developed than China in almost every imaginable way. Korea, Hong Kong, Sweden, etc.

Quote:
    – Geographically small

I think the last point is a major one that prevents China from offering really high speed service. The internet here is just as antiquated as you say it is, with virtually all of us connecting through the internet via ADSL connections which are virtually from the stone age by today’s standards. If China can build bullet trains and tout them so proudly, why can’t they do the same with the internet? Then again, internet is only REALLY slow here when you compare it to first world countries which are more developed than China in almost every imaginable way. Korea, Hong Kong, Sweden, etc.

I agree that that is a major obstacle for China, but we see the same in the US, granted the US is a lot more developed. I just think it’s funny because I certainly haven’t heard of any news of any attempts to develop a faster broadband network in China for years.

The capability is there (Chinese company Huawei has been on international contracts to develop broadband networks ex. Canada, Europe). And I imagine that the demand is certainly there especially in first tier cities like Shanghai. Even mobile networks are very behind. Only China Unicom offers a very spotty 3G, while the rest of the world is moving on to 4G.

If I were in the telecom business, my mouth would be watering at the thought of potential profits. There must be some factor that I’m not seeing here.

Participant
    Quote:
    Then again, internet is only REALLY slow here when you compare it to first world countries which are more developed than China in almost every imaginable way. Korea, Hong Kong, Sweden, etc.

The internet here is slow in terms of Mbps for sure. Internet connectivity with the rest of the world is also ridiculously bad, if you look at the time it takes to buffer a YouTube video or the latency when playing online games on EU servers.

On the other hand I keep getting impressed by how fast online movies stream from Chinese based services such as Funshion, even in HD. There is almost literally no waiting time. You’re pretty much watching instantly, and the thing never lags, unless there’s something wrong.

I think Chinese internet is actually really fast, just not for our “foreign surfing behavior”. (But, yeah, technology wise definitely not up to date compared to the top countries like Charlie said)

Participant

From the VPN service that I use. I don’t know if I should smile or cry:

“Please note we have received a DMCA notification regarding the IP your VPN account uses. File sharing of copyright material is a violation of our Policies and USA Federal law.

We understand that computers can be infected with a virus and cause these kinds of complaints to be generated.

Please check your system for any software that could be causing this problem. We would have to disable your account if the activity continues.

No action will be taken at this time, but if the DMCA complaints continue it will be with great regret on our part to deactivate your account.”

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 201 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.