Best Clubs in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBest Clubs in Chengdu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Author

I think at some point you will have to pay the entrance (like they’re doing in Shanghai).

Keymaster

Almost nowhere in Chengdu charges an entrance – when we did it for Disco Death there’d always be some people who were shocked that we would charge entrance even though we had guest performers from out of town at each one. I think it’ll be a while before that becomes the norm in Chengdu.

Personally I’d rather pay 25 yuan and see an interesting show than get in for free and have nothing going on inside. There’s a real lack of promoters in Chengdu doing interesting shows though, pretty much only Little Bar and one or two other places brings performers from out of town here on a regular basis.

Don’t you think that, in parallel of the fast economic expansion of the city, it will come in 2-3 years ?

Participant

Some places won’t charge a cover, but they’ll try the “you have to buy 24 (or sometimes 12) bottles if you take a table”. Last week a friend and i had this, but as soon as we made to leave, we were told it was Ok to order two bottles. Just depends how busy the place is i guess. An empty bar/club has to be pretty ballsy to knock back any $$$$….

Hemp House with their Chengdumusic parties has been charging 50 kuai for dj’s, bands, free micro-brew beer and BBQ. I reckon that’s pretty sensational value….

Keymaster

@Guigz it’s possible, but I’m skeptical because I was thinking that things would be much better now than they were 2-3 years ago and they’re not. Maybe things will change for the better when the new Xiong Mao opens. Fingers crossed.

@Tigerkuma places that do that are even worse than having a cover! The chengdumusic parties are great though, I went to the last one just expecting to get BBQ and some beers which alone would’ve been worth 50 kuai. That even is definitely a labor of love and it’s great that it’s happening at the Hemp House deck, which only has a few months left on it from what I hear.

Participant

@Charlie;

you mean Hemp House is closing, or they just gonna lose the deck? Say it ain’t so! Best beer garden in town…

Keymaster

I heard the landlord said that they’re reclaiming the patio for some other use. And the Hemp House is going to be reduced to its original (much smaller) size. What it was like in 2007. I don’t know what else will open up next door.

Participant

It’s a damn shame….

Participant

Best pre-club/bar experience in Chengdu: 四海一家 (si hai yi jia, 4th floor at Yanlord, the building with LV at the corner on renmin nan lu)

Forget the hundreds of types of food available to snatch up as you want, but they keep Sake, Wine, and Carlsberg on tap – self-serve. I usually fill a mug 80% beer and drop a few sakes in to make my own little bombs. Now, though, they have a sub-zero icebox Vodka Bar next to the normal bar. It’s almost never got anyone in it – they just peep in – seems the locals just go there to snatch up crab legs, foie gras, beijing duck, and haagan-dazs. The food isn’t all top quality, but with some sampling you’ll find what suits you.

I think it’s like, 186rmb/person for weekend dinners, with some discount if you pay via bank of china debit card.

Participant

Oh, I forgot the best part. There are often some fine little hunnies walking around, food..liquor..hot girls wandering about with easy access — that was the missing key in the last post 😀

Keymaster

@Rick I heard about that place!! 四海一家… it’s supposed to be the ultimate buffet place in Chengdu.

Participant

My girl is addicted to it. She loves the foie gras and beijing duck, shrimp on tap, and the atmosphere I guess… I just love the fact I can grab drinks as frequently as I want – most buffet with ‘beer on tap’ or whatever always end up so restricted, waiting around for drinks etc, but since they just toss kegs and line-ups of sake on the bar top for you to grab, it’s never restrictive and I can get my driiink on… I also like the atmosphere, it’s really big and open, with a lot of ‘life’, live pianist in the middle next to the chocolate fondue fountains, feels like a busy marketplace where everything is free as opposed to restaurant.

I’ll be there in about 5 hours sake bombing it up 😀

Keymaster

Seriously, I will just chill in there hours eating and drinking. I’ll be like Homer at the all you can eat seafood joint.

WmYgl.jpg

Almost sounds like the perfect post workout destination (off season!)!

Rick,

I always thought that place suck. Now that you put it THAT way…I’m definetely hitting there again before the bars/ clubs. It’s like an open bar with not bad food!

Keymaster

I went there on Saturday with some friends (Hzwerks, JustinF) and we had a great time. ???? is a pretty epic buffet.

We got tanked on beer/wine/sake and ate pounds and pounds of salmon.

Yesterday at the massage place I mentioned that buffet place and a woman getting a massage next to me was telling me all about the place, how it’s famous in Chengdu and opened by a Cantonese guy etc. It’s funny because the place is in a totally desolate fake-designer shopping mall. Then you get to the fourth floor where the buffet is and it’s rammed with hundreds of people.

If you’re looking for open bars, there is also Nanuna, very friendly guys.

The buffet is definitely worth checking out, but bear in mind it closes at 9:30, and the ‘ice’ room was closed before 9 so we missed it. We did also ignore everybody telling us they were closed, and continued on til 10:30 or so. Very funny!

Participant

They’ll let ya stay, just stop serving out new food at around 9. Also, if you go earlier, you can get some of the cooked-served-gone til next cook foods like beijing duck, foie gras, and one other thing near the BBQ rack.

Going earlier also usually nets you a better table, sometimes they end up crammin’ people in the back which is inconvenient for beer/sake runs on weekends especially.. I wonder if they’d let ya just grab a keg instead of glass by glass ?!

Keymaster

You can grab a keg and bring it to your table. They probably wouldn’t let you do it though. Even though there are 50+ people working there they didn’t seem to be minding us at all. We were seated near the wine/beer/sake area anyway though.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.