2012 New Music Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2012 New Music Thread

• This topic has 129 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Avatar photoTy.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Yo, that’s a good start. Thanks a bunch Chris.

Any other electro / Chinese traditional colabs you know of guys?

Participant

Yo, that’s a good start. Thanks a bunch Chris.

I have to drop this in here for you Eli, one of the most seminal drum & bass tracks ever made…

I have to drop this in here for you Eli, one of the most seminal drum & bass tracks ever made…

Participant

My vpn is not working at the moment, so I can’t open youtube. I think I know the video though.

Is this the video about the ‘Amen Break?’ that video is fantastically educational.

I triple double cosign that video. I love the calm dispassionate voice of the narrator. Very authoritative.

Participant

My vpn is not working at the moment, so I can’t open youtube. I think I know the video though.

Is this the video about the ‘Amen Break?’ that video is fantastically educational.

I triple double cosign that video. I love the calm dispassionate voice of the narrator. Very authoritative.

No, you’re talking about this…

That came via a great vinyl related site here…

Actually what makes the track I posted so seminal was it’s utter departure from the Amen break. It wasn’t the first track to do it, but it was the purest example of ‘New Form’ at that point. Might even still be now I think on it.

No, you’re talking about this…

That came via a great vinyl related site here…

Actually what makes the track I posted so seminal was it’s utter departure from the Amen break. It wasn’t the first track to do it, but it was the purest example of ‘New Form’ at that point. Might even still be now I think on it.

Participant

Ahhh, I see. Hey – that is a really cool vinyl site.

I will check out the other video you posted tomorrow. I should be getting my VPN sorted out then… Thanks.

Participant

Ahhh, I see. Hey – that is a really cool vinyl site.

I will check out the other video you posted tomorrow. I should be getting my VPN sorted out then… Thanks.

Keymaster

A new Matisyahu album came out recently, although his earlier albums were some of the best reggae of the last decade, this one is really over produced. That is unfortunate.

New Deadmau5 album came out this week also, the one track featuring Imogen Heap is pretty nice. And The Veldt is on there also, I thought that was an old song, but still catchy despite being very commercial.

I’m still listening to the new Flying Lotus daily, that album is a masterpiece. “Getting There” is definitely one of my favorite FlyLo tracks of all time now (along with Zodiac Shit, MmmHmm, and RobertaFlack). It reminds me of the soundtrack that Vangelis made for Blade Runner which is one of my favorite movie scores of all time. There aren’t really any Youtube clips of the new album because the album is scheduled to be released this Monday, but NPR has the whole album available for streaming for free: First Listen: Flying Lotus, Until The Quiet Comes

Quote:

There isn’t that much of this unfortunately, but the best that I’ve seen is from Japan. This is DJ Kentaro, a Japanese turntablist and one of the most decorated and respected battle DJs in the world:

DJ Kentaro vs Shamisen Player

Another classic example is DJ Krush, who’s used a lot of traditional east asian instruments in his music. The instrument in this song is also a shamisen, which is a close relative of the Chinese sanxian:

DJ Krush – Beyond Raging Waves

Quote:

Photek is immortal. I met him in Los Angeles, really cool guy. The Rain is one of my favorite drum & bass tracks of all time.

Quote:
    This new Freddie Gibbs mixtape may not be for everyone. But if you like gangsta rap, as I do, give this a try:

I’m not a fan of post-90’s gangsta rap in general but this is a good mixtape. I like a lot of the beats, especially “The Diet”. Trap life.

Keymaster

A new Matisyahu album came out recently, although his earlier albums were some of the best reggae of the last decade, this one is really over produced. That is unfortunate.

New Deadmau5 album came out this week also, the one track featuring Imogen Heap is pretty nice. And The Veldt is on there also, I thought that was an old song, but still catchy despite being very commercial.

I’m still listening to the new Flying Lotus daily, that album is a masterpiece. “Getting There” is definitely one of my favorite FlyLo tracks of all time now (along with Zodiac Shit, MmmHmm, and RobertaFlack). It reminds me of the soundtrack that Vangelis made for Blade Runner which is one of my favorite movie scores of all time. There aren’t really any Youtube clips of the new album because the album is scheduled to be released this Monday, but NPR has the whole album available for streaming for free: First Listen: Flying Lotus, Until The Quiet Comes

Quote:

There isn’t that much of this unfortunately, but the best that I’ve seen is from Japan. This is DJ Kentaro, a Japanese turntablist and one of the most decorated and respected battle DJs in the world:

DJ Kentaro vs Shamisen Player

Another classic example is DJ Krush, who’s used a lot of traditional east asian instruments in his music. The instrument in this song is also a shamisen, which is a close relative of the Chinese sanxian:

DJ Krush – Beyond Raging Waves

Quote:

Photek is immortal. I met him in Los Angeles, really cool guy. The Rain is one of my favorite drum & bass tracks of all time.

Quote:
    This new Freddie Gibbs mixtape may not be for everyone. But if you like gangsta rap, as I do, give this a try:

I’m not a fan of post-90’s gangsta rap in general but this is a good mixtape. I like a lot of the beats, especially “The Diet”. Trap life.

Quote:

When you were in L.A. recently? I used to have friends who knew him way back when, but never met him personally. Always wanted to at the time because of his beat programming, it was just so consistently hypnotic. ‘The Rain’ is a wicked example of that, used to get a lot of rewinds because no one wanted it to end whenever it was dropped.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    When you were in L.A. recently? I used to have friends who knew him way back when, but never met him personally.

No, this was years ago. I think he moved to Los Angeles from England around 2004-2005. But he didn’t play in Los Angeles much, he played at Respect only once if I’m not mistaken (LA’s longest running drum & bass event).

Participant
    Quote:

Try locate a Beijing Based act called “FM3”. The are behind the famous Buddha machine. They use a lot of traditional instruments and produce ambient/electronic stuff. http://www.fm3.com.cn

A Sichuan artist, Wang Lei has also used a lot of gu zhen and er hu in his work. Especially on: http://www.rockinchina.com/w/馨_(Wang_Lei)

I came across this recently and it’s not bad either:

http://jingweir.tumblr.com/post/23225646258/new-jingweir-release-jw008-thruoutin-dots

You can download from the releases section of the site for free.

Liking this…

Keymaster

This French “electro jazz and gypsy swing” band called Caravan Palace is new to me, I’ve been listening to their Panic album for the last few days.

Caravan Palace – Queens

Participant

Sorry Charlie but when I see/hear the words “electro jazz” it makes me cringe. Who comes up with these terms anyway? Not the artists themselves I am guessing.

Well, on to new music. If you like techno like I do, the new Redshape album has got me excited. A great talent in the techno world anyway. What’s your opinion?

Participant

somebody asked bout melting pot of electronics and traditional chinese instruments… so here is very nice project

china-album.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/iot-records/china-expedisound-yunnan

more info:

http://www.expedisound.org

buy here:

http://www.addictech.com/p/108548?

Participant

Taylor Swift – I Knew You Were Trouble.

http://soundcloud.com/taylorswiftofficial/i-knew-you-were-trouble

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.