Eggs & Cholesterol

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEggs & Cholesterol

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 243 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I see the trajectory moving towards favorite egg recipes.

I’m bummed that spinach is out of season, 4 eggs and a bundle of bo cai was my jam. I’m tired of scrambled eggs so I go for a double fried egg with ketchup on a piece of toast.

Should probably get back to 5 or 6 eggs now that im squatting over 100kg again. #SirAlmostSquatsAlot

Keymaster
    Quote:
    I see the trajectory moving towards favorite egg recipes.

Scrambled eggs lightly peppered with Sriracha is how I roll for breakfast.

Quote:
    check out what this guy eats…

Food choice is right at the top of my list of things I miss about home. When I was living in Vancouver in particular (though L.A. qualifies too) the sheer variety of available healthy foods on offer across the city’s food markets and restaurants was always great. What this guy is eating matches my pre-China regime pretty closely, and I realise as I type this just how much I miss all the gluten/wheat alternatives, and the coffee shops that sell the muffins and cookies made with them! Wheat free pizza’s too… Oh boy I miss those bad boys, loaded up with stacks of meat, goat feta, and avocado’s! Slabs of fresh Salmon… 🙁

On the protein front, I shoot for an average of 1g per llb body weight minimum, which for me is 220g+/- daily, but there’s a simple way to deviate from that and make it less of a chore: If you lower your carbohydrate intake for 5-6 days a week and focus on protein and fats, you can up your carbs on the other day/s and not worry so much about hitting your quota. Carbs are naturally protein sparing, but as always you have to pay attention to the type of carbs you’re eating and stay away from sugars, and high glycemic sources like white rice and bread. Have a higher carb day/s the day after a (hard) workout and you’ll add muscle fullness too, then return to low carbs & moderate-high fats the next day again.

I know most of you won’t have the discipline to consider this, but your acid/alkaline balance is a major factor too. In an alkaline state your body needs considerably less protein to perform repairs, while in acid state that need raises exponentially, as well as depriving you of vitamins and minerals. One of the easiest ways to achieve a good alkaline balance is to consume a large variety and volume of vegetables, at a ratio of at least 2-1 vegetables/protein. Also once you get away from eating trash carbs you’ll find that veggies taste much better than before, making it easy to eat healthily more often.

Participant

Guy oughtta write a book…..

Participant

Tough to follow the Big Man but one interesting article i read: a study done by the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) revealed that based on a typical work-out by regular (at least 4 times weekly) males in their control group the optimal protein intake required was 95 grams a day. Point: the more you take, the harder you need to work to get any benefit.Most guys are not working hard enough to need the amountthey’re consuming. If you’re swallowing 200 grams you better make sure that your work-out corresponds to that heavy intake of protein, otherwise you’re literally pissing it away. I motivate myself partly by saying to myself “that shit you’re gonna guzzle after this session is expensive” (whether in natural or supplement form) “so don’t waste it”. ie. work my ass off.

Similar findings for sports drinks such as gatorade: the only benefit found in repeated studies was when athletes engaged in high intensity physical activity for at least 1 hour. Apart from the placebo effect (which i use as a hangover cure) that lolly water ain’t worth the bottle it comes in….of course at my gym, the local guys scoff it down, and these guys aint even close to 1 hour of grunt….

Quote:
    check out what this guy eats: namely the steak, avocado, feta pizza MMMMMMM

What Chris Actually Eats

Not too sure how considering everything Brendan says is possible without a personal chef, but pictures of food sure do get the saliva flowing.

Participant

@ most Yanks posters and neighbors.You write about all the healthy food available ‘back home’.Surely you must know that you are in a category all by yourself.Why do you then also qualify as probably the most obese of nations?

In my book fruit is the number 1 food,especially for breakfast.Why go to a gym and smell your own sweat and that of others.Walking is still the best exercise.Stay away from KFC,macD’s and the like.Maybe have gallstones? Avoid eggs.

Quote:
    Avoid eggs.

I have nothing.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    @ most Yanks posters and neighbors.You write about all the healthy food available ‘back home’.Surely you must know that you are in a category all by yourself.Why do you then also qualify as probably the most obese of nations?

I get the impression that you want to create a stir more than discuss this, but I’ll take the bait.

Most developed countries in the West have rising obesity. It has to do with everyone having access to an abundance of calorie-rich food, which the US has had for many generations. Public education in the States has failed to keep our biological impulse to consume excessive calories at bay. No one posting here from America is fat, we’re all in better shape than 98% of Chinese men, I’d say.

Quote:
    In my book fruit is the number 1 food,especially for breakfast.Why go to a gym and smell your own sweat and that of others.Walking is still the best exercise.Stay away from KFC,macD’s and the like.Maybe have gallstones? Avoid eggs.

You should revise your book then, since fruit is mostly sugar and water. It’s of little nutritional value and doesn’t constitute a healthy breakfast on its own.

You go to the gym to train your body and mind to be strong. If you don’t like going to the gym, suit yourself, but be prepared to defend your beliefs if you come into this thread and say things like fruit is the #1 food.

Participant

w00t bring on the trolls

Participant

@ Charlie: Maybe stirring is not a bad idea?Something to discuss.?

Great that all the posters look good and in better shape than most of the locals.I was in KFC twice in 6 months and last Saturday at Leanna’s with my wife for the 1st time. Had rather a nice pizza.But was a little embarrased of most of the fat Laowais.Ah yes:The fruit,a short exerpt—

What is the correct way of eating fruits?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! * FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let’s say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.

In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil….

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining — every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc — actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!

Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

Participant

@Gavvie: Dude, I lived in LA and San Diego for almost 18 months, and sure the States has some wretched physical specimens, but it also has an unrivalled dedication to fitness, health and sports excellence. Maybe its the vanity of the Californian lifestyle, but living in the States was the first time that i seriously started running and focusing on my diet. it may be the fattest nation, but if you ask me, it’s also the fittest.

And Gavvie, the troll in me seriously wants to ask: What’s your body fat percentage? Not saying, just saying……

Participant

Gavvie this is a forum for weightlifters not an infomercial for your miracle fruit juice.

Yeah lots of expats from EVERYWHERE are fat b/c the local diet is a slurry of greasy carbs and pork fat.

Not to mention the beer gut.

In 2008 I actually got “fat” when I came to China b/c I was a vegetarian and my body wasn’t used to all the animal fats and carb overload. b/4 that i was a fairly lean mountain biker, with a fairly weak upperbody

Keymaster

That stuff you copied and pasted about fruit is not true. Read this.

Quote:
    @ Charlie: Maybe stirring is not a bad idea?Something to discuss.?

Great that all the posters look good and in better shape than most of the locals.I was in KFC twice in 6 months and last Saturday at Leanna’s with my wife for the 1st time. Had rather a nice pizza.But was a little embarrased of most of the fat Laowais.Ah yes:The fruit,a short exerpt—

There are a lot of fat foreigners, no doubt. Their fatness is amplified by the petite nature of Chinese people, also.

Quote:
    Dude, I lived in LA and San Diego for almost 18 months, and sure the States has some wretched physical specimens, but it also has an unrivalled dedication to fitness, health and sports excellence.

I didn’t know you lived in California for 18 months! I was just there for 6 weeks, and you are absolutely right. Most people in Los Angeles are in phenomenal shape and fitness and diet are taken very seriously. Pretty much no where in the states – except for South Beach Miami – will you find so many flawless specimens as you will in LA.

It never ceases to amaze how myth can survive across generations. Take the bible for instance! 😀

The fruit thing is a prime example of both myth, and peoples need to have neat little bite sized answers that don’t require too much thinking.

It’s not so much the combining of ‘fruits’ and other foods that’s an issue, but more a question of what you happen to be eating as a whole. All fruits are not equal for one, with varying degrees of sugar and fiber in each, so the most important factor becomes insulin impact, which of course most people when you tell this to either look puzzled, or roll their eyes. Another factor is timing. Throw back a water melon before running a marathon and you’re going to hit a brick wall pretty quickly as the insulin spike rips all available glucose from the blood, but eat one afterward and you just aided glycogen uptake (energy), sped recovery, and replenished ATP stores (muscular contraction). And so it goes on… I’m aware I tend to get a little technical when I post anything related to nutrition & exercise, but then I’m not in the habit of being glib either, and it’s the attention to detail that people tend to forget, or just don’t invest the time in.

Anyone who takes the time to learn and understand the simplicity of insulin response to foods will forever understand the impact of everything they eat. I wish it was taught in schools, but then of course it won’t be as long as the major food corps continue to seek gargantuan profits from cheap to produce crops, including the number one drug on the planet, sugar.

Participant

@ Elias and co.Please accept my apology..just read all the posts & I understand it is more about the impact of eggs on body builders.Was surprised that fruit did not feature in your diets.A dozen eggs for breakfast???

In S Africa the egg yolks are a sickly shade of yellow and taste like cardboard.Here the egg yolks are almost orange in colour and tasty.Probably the chickens walk on soil and see some sun?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    In S Africa the egg yolks are a sickly shade of yellow and taste like cardboard.Here the egg yolks are almost orange in colour and tasty.Probably the chickens walk on soil and see some sun?

In China? Highly unlikely since there isn’t a demand for free range eggs here like there is in a place like the States.

Here’s a decent post on eggs I read recently.

The only reason an egg’s yolk would ever be a ‘bright’ orange is due to the feed, which colours the yolk. Any eggs coming from free range, naturally fed hens will generally be much lighter, and it’s these eggs I always look for. If I try a brand and find the yolks to be ‘bright’, it’s a sure sign that the farms feed was manipulated, calling into question any other practices related to the egg’s production, and I choose not to buy them again.

Participant

A few chinese friends and most of my students are very skeptical about free range eggs in China. They say they are all fake and the only way to get them is buying direct from the farmer. They are also doubtful about Ito’s range of “organic” products (eg. rice, selenium millet, red beans etc.) of which i spent almost 200 kuai on yesterday…..food safety and product labelling headaches…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    The only reason an egg’s yolk would ever be a ‘bright’ orange is due to the feed, which colours the yolk.

Damn, look at you, egg expert. Eggspert.

Quote:
    A few chinese friends and most of my students are very skeptical about free range eggs in China.

As am I. When it comes to statements about food quality in China, you’d be crazy to take what the label says at face value, especially when you’re paying a premium. Getting eggs directly from a farmer would be fantastic though – does anything like this exist in or around Chengdu?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 243 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.